Most UK residents do not need to complete a personal tax return because their employer collects the right amount of tax directly from their salary and their investment income is below the taxable thresholds. You may have to complete a personal UK tax return if you fall into one of the following categories:
- UK resident with rental income
- UK resident with significant investment income
- UK resident who is self-employed or in a business partnership
- Selling property, shares and other assets that give rise to capital gains
- UK resident with foreign income or foreign capital gains
- Non-UK residents who have income from a UK source such as work carried out in the UK, or property located in the UK.
The UK tax year for individuals runs from 6 April to 5 April and the deadline for submitting a tax return is the following 31 January if completing online or 31 October if completing a paper tax return.